open door news
SERVING DENVER through urban immersion
June 21st, 2018
This summer has started off with a bang with eight different church teams joining us for Urban Immersion trips! This week, a group of 66 high school students from Vriesland Reformed Church in Michigan have joined us for a week-long immersion experience.
The group started off by helping Westside Church Internacional with a World Cup outreach. Since the neighborhood around the church is primarily Mexican, they invited their neighbors to join them to watch the Mexico vs. Germany game on Sunday morning, which was followed by a church service. It was a lively morning as the underdog (Mexico) stole the win in a 1-0 game and we got to eat "The Taste of Nations," a potluck breakfast representing foods from all over the world.
The group has spent their week volunteering at various ministries around the city, serving a hot dog lunch in the Family Room (pictured above), participating in street outreach to the homeless, and helping set up the Make Music festival with Confluence Ministries on the 16th Street Mall. We also brought in some of our pastors and staff to do training sessions with the group every morning to teach them about the community and equip them as they serve.
We are so grateful for teams that choose to spend their summers with us! If you are interested in bringing your group to participate in the Urban Immersion program, contact Megan Etter at email@example.com or 720-975-0103. We host groups any time of the year. You can learn more at odmdenver.org/urban-immersion.
grand opening of the new kitchen
june 14th, 2018
Last week we gathered together to celebrate the grand opening of our new commercial kitchen! When one of our Key Partners, Barb Roth, approached us and asked if she could fund a total kitchen remodel, we were beyond excited.
This kitchen is often the center of community life here on the block. It's used Monday through Friday to serve meals to our Learning Center students, Fridays for Celebrate Recovery, Saturdays for Jesus Christ Our Church, and Sundays for The Table. Since it hadn't been remodeled since 2000, it needed a facelift!
After months of work the kitchen now has commercial appliances, a great HVAC system, cabinets and countertops, and new flooring. We are so blessed to be able to continue ministering to people and building relationships as we serve and share meals together. And the preschool kiddos certainly agree!
Thank you, Barb, for seeing this need and generously blessing us with a new kitchen. We are grateful for our many partners that make this ministry possible.
SHHH... EXECUTIVE director's run discount
May 30th, 2018
Today only we are offering one last discount for Run for the Door! With the discount code “BeatDavid” you can receive $5.00 off the registration costs.
Oh, and one more thing—kids are going to LOVE it this year because we will have a huge inflatable obstacle course, jumping castle, giant balls, and major amounts of foam. Here are the rest of the details….
You're invited to join us this Saturday at Cheesman Park to come together with the greater Denver community and support Open Door Ministries! Here are the details:
- You can register for the race day-of in the park, but we encourage you to take advantage of online sign-ups until midnight on Friday. Registration goes up to $40 Saturday morning, so save yourself the trouble and sign up now!
- New Registration and Check-In both open at 7 AM near the pavilion on the east side of Cheesman Park.
- The park will be barricaded off, so park in the surrounding neighborhoods and walk in.
- The race starts at 8:30 AM and the family fun/food ensues shortly after.
- Remember to bring cash or card to enjoy food from Chibby Wibbitz, Flippin' Flapjacks, Banomanom, and the Bean Machine!
- Stick around after the race for an inflatable obstacle course, human hamster ball soccer, spray foam for the kiddos, giant basketball, and a bouncy castle.
- The Denver Botanic Gardens are offering $5 on Saturday after the race if you bring your race bib in! The Gardens are right next to Cheesman, so make a day of it.
Thanks for joining with us as we work towards healing and hope in the lives of so many people in Denver. Don't wait - sign up today!
@odmdenver Instagram feed
@odmdenver Twitter feed